Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

More Adventurous

Quoting myself from December of 2010:

So I guess next year I can just twiddle my thumbs and wait for 2012 so don't be sorry if you don't hear from my uneventful self. Too bad the world will end that year. (But at least it fits the pattern, right?)

What pattern, you might ask? Just this silly superstitious pattern I've "identified" in which the major events in my life fall on an 'even' year.

I think it's funny that my prediction rang true; well, in part: I have very little postings to boast of. But what I didn't expect was such a departure from the norm. Because (for reasons previously listed) 2011 was actually a big year. Possibly a bigger year than 2010, if I dare speak in relativities. It was a year of new beginnings and necessary endings, which I usually tend to mark by dates and plane rides or road trips and foreign sidewalks. I can't identify this year's endings and beginnings in the less abstract picturesque. Yes, I did move to Provo, and yes this provided me with a new landscape in which to view myself and others around me; but there is so much more to it than that. Does it help any to say that I have never in my life felt so old? Or that I have never, either, felt so, so young? Count on me to deal in binaries.

I know that 2011 is a year I will be grateful for perhaps unlike many others. I felt like the end hit me before I could write up my Christmas cards and send out emails and letters of thanks. A package I meant to send last year is still sitting in the back of my car: that's two years and counting that my poor time management and distaste for postal offices have gotten the best of me. But I can't help but shake this old year happily off and leave it behind to whither. As I read in Les Lettres Chinoises this last semester: un fleur qui ne meurt pas n'est pas un vrai fleur.
A flower which doesn't die is not a real flower. (Kinda gives you the chills, doesn't it?)

2012 is already well in bloom. And I can't help shaking this feeling that has haunted me since last (or rather, before last) December that this, ladies and gents, is MY year. Don't ask me how. It just is. I can taste it.

And actually, I have proof too.

Week number 1 of 2012 has included:
Lord of the Rings in Bluray
Having my bff visit my Provo hood from Texas.
Hot Pots
Poppin' a squat (This may not be noteworthy in your book. I don't blame you.)
A barefoot run in the middle of nowhere. By the light of the moon.
Going commando and bra-less for several hours. (That's like the waterless equivalent to skinny dipping, right? And no one would argue that skinny dipping wasn't exciting.)
Spanish class! And I'm already back to thinking in Spanish. If you count saying "priamos" as thinking in Spanish (French: prions + Spanish: oramos = priamos!)
Two new recipes.
A date.
My debut as a karaoke star.
A made bed every day.
Temple with roomies.
Snow! After weeks of clear skies.

Let's just say that the other 51 weeks have a lot to live up to. Also, did I mention that this year is leap year? Cuz it is. I don't think I need to get into just how cool that is.

I'm posting my resolutions under a monstrous liar post. At least the particulars. They could be summarized by the title of this post and by this quote: “The deepest way in which we are right or wrong is in our way of being toward others.” The Anatomy of Peace.

This year, I want to change the way I am towards others by changing the way I think toward others and toward myself. To think generously, in a word. That's my kind of new adventure.

No comments: