10/29/2010
So I've been in a sort of funk that I was going to chalk up to the fact that I haven't run for a week. Just a week. But it feels like an e-tern-i-t-y!
The truth of it is, the funk was pre-run injury. As for the injury, don't ask me what I did. I have done my research. I have formulated theories. It's not that I don't have an answer so much as I don't really care about the what or the how. My question has more to do with the tick tock on the clock (Yes, I did just publicly make a Keisha reference on my blog. I really hate that I love her. But the truth of it is that she just makes me want to dance. Pretty much without fail. And sometimes it's good to remember that buried deep (or sometimes not so deep) inside this composed exterior of mine is still that shameless 19 year old past self). It's not severe enough that I would see a doctor so it's not keeping me up and night. Not in an of itself, that is.
All my researched is driven by the search for the answer to one question: will I be able to run the Halloween half on the 30th? I had my answer last Thursday, when I ran 4 miles against my whole body's will: "Tu rĂªve?! And so, now another, still undetermined: What about the Vegas Rock n' Roll Half?
I think that the answer is probably a 'heck yes', if not a 'well sure, if you wanna die trying." And this brings me back to the funk. Because the week, maybe the week and a half before I injured myself, I had to force, coerce, compel, even bribe myself to hit the sidewalk. I don't know if it's the shortened days or the evening chill. But I was not enjoying running like I had before. It had started to feel like........work. A few weeks back, I was going to write a post-more like an ode-to barefoot running. I was going to laud the sunsets, my running track, my vibrams in all their smelly glory. I felt like a fraud doing it in the midst of a funk though.
So, maybe an obligatory break was in order.
11/7/2010
Visiting us today is my friendly facebook status:
What!?!? The Vegas half marathon is on a Sunday!? WHY????? Wow, I fail at using calendars. GAH. I feel like a kid who got their favorite toy taken away. Anyone have a rockin workout/running songs/mix they wanna recommend to help pull me back from the brink of depression?
As you might guess, this revelation did nothing to help my funk. It's like, I no longer care to brave the cold weather, dark nights, or the gym. Incidentally, no one had any musical remedies to offer me so I took upon myself to rewrite the soundtrack to my life and I'll eventually get to a workout mix. I reaquainted myself with Pandora and downloaded the new Band of Horses and the new Weepies and am happy as a clam.
The conclusion: I am not depressed. I've been lulled back into contentment with the help of a overwhelmingly busy schedule and a few choice chords. But I think something in me died and I hope when all this yucky weather is gone I can nourish it back to life again.
So I know that's dramatic like wow. But I really did want to write that ode.
Here's to running being a good thing. And a good thing never dies.
2 comments:
I would like your soundtrack please... I believe if we lived in the same city Sunny- we would not be able to leave each other's side. I would be able to speak French everyday- listen to amazing music- talk about writing and maybe learn to run!
You are the other half of me :)
Hope you are well my friend.
I need to complete the soundtrack but I should find a way to get it to you! Seriously Cassandra, I hate how it wasn't until we were in separate cities that we realized how much we have in common! I think of you now every time I think of Manitou Springs. I just associate you with those memories :)
Post a Comment