Search This Blog

Friday, July 30, 2010

And those the rainy days they ain't so bad when you're the King (or queen)

Today was stellar. I learned a lot from Carine about patience. And about selflessness. I think most mothers could teach me this but I'm glad I get to learn it here first-hand. Plus she's a real trooper and lets me talk to her in French and then doesn't scold me when I get lazy and revert to English.

So today's highlight was my run. I thought for sure today was going to be MY day. It was drizzling as I was getting my shoes (Vibram's) on and when I took out Polski the dog beforehand. I was so stoked to get soaking wet and run with raindrops dripping down my nose.

As luck would have it, the rain let up the duration of my run and then picked back up once I was home. But the good news is that I put in another 3 miles even though my legs/muscles were not happy with me the last mile or so. I'm pretty sure I didn't do any irreparable damage and I still had tons of energy at the end of the run that had I wanted to risk it, I definitely could have kept going. I should add that it's been a LONG time (pre IT band problems/barefoot adventures) since I've felt that way at the end of 3 miles.

The neighbor was over here yesterday talking to Carine about training for a half in October. Apparently the key is to do two 3 mile runs in the week and then use the weekend for a long run, adding a half mile every week. Honestly, I haven't done the math and until I can break a six mile long run in my vibrams I won't look at races or dates, but that's my new plan. I think it's more effective than trying to run longer every day. Plus on my off days I can take it to the bike and have a hard core yoga session. Next week the plan is 3 miles Monday, Wednesday and a 4 miler Saturday. It's really not an intense schedule from an outsider's perspective but it will push me and it's a schedule. Yay for planning!

So I'm running to an especially awesome mix today. I just downloaded Dog Days are Over by Florence and the Machine who I should have known about earlier but am only now discovering. It's probably all I need to be happy right now. It's like the new and improved story of my life. Somehow. Anyway, I used that song to create a genius mix on my itouch. Let it be known Apple did NOT fail me today.

Well at the end of my run to give me that extra push as I sprint my little heart out I go back to Dog Days. And then the next song comes on, and it's this one. And if I thought life couldn't get any better I was wrong. It was my cool down song and it was nearly dark. So I pulled a Marseille and started busting out skipping/dancing/walking moves on the sidewalk. I got to the park and wanted to ran around/play in the grass but decided Mom would never forgive me if I got struck by lightning there in the middle of a huge open field. Even if I am only 5 foot 4 and would hardly consider myself a target. I can't be out in the rain without hearing her voice telling me to come in. And I got to thinking, that of all the ways to go, lightning would be okay by me; so long as it was quick. And it would be ironic to boot. I mean, my name is a weather pattern; my first word was rain. (I had mentioned this to Alex in passing and yesterday when the neighbor was over he introduced me and elaborated with "Her first word was rain". Kids, they never cease to amaze and amuse). It would only be appropriate you know. Not like I'm gonna tempt fate or anything. Don't worry, Mom, I sometimes still listen to your voice in my head. Though maybe not as often as I should. You can blame Kings of Leon.


***************Abrupt Transition*******************

So, I'm starting my book summaries. I don't necessarily expect anyone to be interested. But when I was in Highschool I would type up all the favorite quotes/passages of the books I read. I probably have over a hundred pages word document. I think if you're going to write, it's important to identify good writers, what makes them good, and what you like about them. However, I think that the main motivation I have for taking back that old habit is that if I am going to spend the time reading something I should spend the time letting it go through me. And that's not an entirely passive process. I have a lot of books I want to read; I won't always have time to go back and reread books if I want to read new ones. So I have to make them count.

Here goes with that effort. In the meantime, some words of inspiration from Nicole Krauss. Who may or may not be some kind of soul mate. Anyway, I love this. And I hate it; because I wish I had written it. But you can't hate truth; it's what sets you free. So I love. Mostly.

"Why does one begin to write? Because she feels misunderstood, I guess. Because it never comes out clearly enough when she tries to speak. Because she wants to rephrase the world, to take it in and give it back again differently, so that everything is used and nothing is lost. Because it's something to do to pass the time until she is old enough to experience the things she writes about."

Amen, girl. A-freaking-men.

No comments: